MACL and Super Boomerang

A package of mac utilities called Now Utilities includes a nifty
extension to standard file dialogs called Super Boomerang.  This
cdev/init adds menus to standard file dialogs to make it easier
to navigate in your file system.  The rub is that there are problems
using it with MACL.  Super Boomerang works fine with the file dialogs
generated by selecting "Open" or "Load" from the menubar.  It also
seems to work fine with the standard "Save as" dialog.  HOWEVER,
calls to (choose-file-dialog) and (choose-new-file-dialog) misbehave.
(At least, this is the case on systems that I've tried it on...)
The most significant problem is related to screen-(non)-updating;
(choose-file-dialog) generally gives a blank dialog, but mousing
around in the dialog makes the active dialog items appear.  Super
Boomerang's help windows, which cover the file dialog, also leave
the file dialog blank when they go away.  Another problem is with
SB's menus: sliding the cursor from one menu to the next with the
mouse down doesn't cause successive menus to drop down as it should...

Anyway, there's a Super Boomerang solution to this which is to
disable SB when in MACL, but since I spend a lot of time in MACL
I don't want to do this.

There are 2 MACL-based solutions that I can think of, and I'd appreciate
any help on these or other ideas:

1) Fix (choose-file-dialog) and (choose-new-file-dialog).  Since
the system generated dialogs work, why can't the user call for
file dialogs that work?

2) Automatically toggle SB around user calls for file dialogs.
Super Boomerang can be toggled on and off by the use of keystrokes -
I think the default is that command-option-shift-B turns it off,
while a double command-option-shift-B turns it back on (but one
can change the assignment). If I could send these keystrokes from
my code then I could redefine (choose-file-dialog) and
(choose-new-file-dialog) to disable and re-enable SB.  Then I'd
still have it in the system dialogs where it's most useful, but
calls to file dialogs wouldn't get weird.  I've looked at the manual
sections on keystroke-codes, etc., but I can't figure out how to
programmatically get the effect of hitting keystroke combinations
on the keyboard...

Any help on either of these ideas or any others would be greatly
appreciated!

 Thanks!

 -Lee (spector@cs.umd.edu)