Windows that disappear/reappear on Multi-Finder swap

Is there a bit somewhere that can be set so that a(ll) window(s) will
disappear when MACL 1.3.2 is swapped out and reappear when the application
becomes active again?
I've tried to do it using the view-activate(deactivate)-event-handler
object functions on my other windows, but this doesn't work during
debugging when a *fred-window* is the front window and seems to be causing
trouble when the front-window is the one that is hidden.
I believe it may also be the source of a crash I've spent three days trying
to track down.

"TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu