Memory status information in MCL2.0b1?

I need to know when free memory is getting scarce so that my
(in-progress) object system can do GC and paging. Are there variables
we can check to find out such information? Ideally I'd like
programmatic access to all the information room has access to.

(In 1.3.2 we tried "riding along" with the GC function but it wasn't
directly called by 1.3.2's internal functions so our code never ran.
I found %freebytes and %freepages but I don't understand neither what
they indicate nor when they are updated.)

Thanks!

Matthew Cornell
Knowledge Communication Systems Group