RE: Re: Problems with function OPEN

Date: Wed, 10 Jul 91 14:31:35 -0400
From: bill@cambridge.apple.com

   Date: 	10 Jul 91 13:05:12 U
   From: "Nasiruddin Mohammed" <Nasiruddin_Mohammed@ssdc.honeywell.com>
   Subject: 	Problems with function OPEN
   To: info-macl@cambridge.apple.com

   A call to open with direction probe produces the following message when a
file
   exists. Sounds like a bug to me.

        Welcome to Macintosh Common Lisp Version 2.0b1!
        ? (open "ccl;fred-macros.lisp" :direction :probe)
        > Error: Error #-18728
        > While executing: CCL::%FOPEN
        > Type Command-. to abort.
        See the Restarts#201# menu item for further choices.

   When no file exists, it correctly returns nil.

        ? (open "abc:def" :direction :probe)
        NIL

   The function probe-file seems to work correctly.

     nasir@ssdc.honeywell.com

I can't duplicate this.  Please inform us of your environment
(machine, system software version, inits).  Does the bug happen with
the vanilla "MCL 2.0b1" application out of the box?

It does happen with the Vanilla version without any patches. I am running on a
Mac II with 8mb of which 5mb are allocated to LISP. Finder 6.1.5 and System
6.0.5.  Inits include Boomerang 2.0.1, Disinfectant 2.0, Suitcase 1.2.6,
Eyeballs 1.0, RADIUS Math 1.4, BeepShuffle 0.3, Icon Wrap 1.2 and Tops 3.0.

--Nasir