fred dialog items w/ scroll bars

I got the impression (possibly false) that MCL 2.0 was to have
editable text dialog items with scroll bars. This doesn't seem
to be the case. Am I missing something?

If they're not standard, does anyone have any advice. Specifically:
 - is there any nice way to avoid creating a text item + a scroll
   bar item. I don't like creating a dialog item to cause the creation
   of another dialog item as a side effect
 - I assume I want to work from fred dialog items. What's the best way
   to scroll the text?

-ME