File Request Server?

A while ago, someone mentioned that it may be possible to arrange some sort of
server on cambridge.apple.com that would respond to file transfer requests
submitted via mail. Those of us who are coming into the Info-MCL group via
various commercial mail gateways don't have FTP access, and can't access the
/pub/MCL/... directories. (I've felt like I'm out in the boondocks ever since
my university account closed, and I've had to use AppleLink to get to the
Internet... :-(

Has anyone looked into this? What are the prospects?

Dave Lamkins