Symbol of the variable

First question :

I would like to get a symbol equal to the name of a variable.
For example, with the object foo (foo is a variable), i would like to get
the symbol 'foo.

The point is that I would like to name my objects (in CLOS), and the name
would be of course a symbol equal to the string of the variable containing
my object.

Is it possible ?

BTW, an other question :

How can we use the standard-class in CLOS ? With (describe 'standard-class)
I noticed lots of slots but I am unable to access or modify them.

A last question :

Do you think the documentation of MCL 2.0 very usable ? I am new with Lisp
(not with the Mac) and especially with CLOS. I find myself spoiling a lot
if time with triing to find informations (often without success) !

Which is the problem ? me :-( or the doc :-  ?

Good WE

---
Lafourcade Mathieu
GETA (Groupe d'Etude pour la Traduction Automatique)
BP 53X, 38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX, FRANCE

Lafourca@imag.fr