Re: file output bug?

> I don't know if this is the appropriate forum for bug reports but I
> seem to have found a bug in MCL2.0b1.
> When I overwrite an existing file with a shorter one, a portion of the
> previous file MAY remain at the end of the new file.

Thanks for the report. As Carl Gay mentioned in another response,
bug-mcl@cambridge.apple.com is a better place to send bug reports to, since it
is archived and used to compile our bug lists.

In any case, this is a known bug, and I believe it was addressed in one of
the patches to 2.0b1. The patches are available for anonymous ftp from
cambridge.apple.com.

Below is a copy of the announcement we sent out when the third patch file
was released (but you'll want to get the "Patches 1&2" file as well as the
"Patch 3" file).

A third patch to Macintosh Common Lisp 2.0b1 is now available. You may
anonymously ftp it from cambridge.apple.com. Logon to this host as
anonymous, then type anything for a password.

The file is:

        /pub/MCL2/patches/MCL 2.0b1 Patch 3.sit.hqx

You will need to:

	cd /pub/MCL2/patches
then
	get "MCL 2.0b1 Patch 3.sit.hqx"

This file is a BinHexed StuffIt archive of a folder. After ftping it to
your Macintosh, use StuffIt or UnStuffIt first to decode the BinHex, then
to extract the patches folder from the archive file. This folder contains
Release Notes along with the patch file. Please note that you must apply
the first two patches to MCL 2.0b1 before applying the third.

After you apply the patch and execute a (save-application ...), you must
start up MCL 2.0b1p3 and (reindex-interfaces). This detail is missing from
some versions of the instructions.

Thanks for using our Lisp. Please let me know if you have any problems
downloading or installing the patch.

Mark Preece
mark@cambridge.apple.com