sequence-dialog-item and GC-ing...

It appears that a major source of GC in my application is due
to users scrolling views of type sequence-dialog-item. I'm assuming that
most of the space on the lisp heap is being eaten by #'format, but I
could be wrong!  The :table-print-function that I'm using looks
something like:
#'(lambda(x &optional stream)
	(declare (optimize space))
	(declare (list x))
	(apply #'format stream "~10a ~20a ~20a" x))

Am I doing something *horribly* inefficient?  Perhaps there is a better
way to display a scrollable list which is updated frequently...

Any pointers appreciated!

Sean Doyle
Massachusetts General Hospital