streams and views

I want to have subviews in a window that I can direct output to.

The view should have a vertical scroll bar, be accessible as a stream
(so I can use format and read), and allow for the toggling of its
editability (i.e. show an I-beam cursor only when told to) so it can
be read from only when user input is required.

I've tried various subclass combinations of different veiw and stream
classes but I've been only marginally successful in obtaining the
behavior I'm seeking. I suspect the solution is simple and that
someone has already done it. Suggestions?

Thanks.

-Dale