Colours

I'm using 2.0f2 and am trying to do a very simple sort of animation
using the quickdraw interface available. One of the things I want to
do is for the coloured dots in my window to fade in intensity until
they eventually disappear. I noticed that in the Control Panel when
you fool around with colours, and specifically decrease the saturation,
this would give the correct effect; however decreasing intensity corresponds
to decreasing 2 of the red-green-blue components of the particular
colours at different rates.

My question is this: does anyone have soem sort of a mapping (or know where
I can find said animal) which will tell how to alter the r-g-b components
of a colour in order to decrease its intensity?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Charlene