Writing to floppy disks

In MCL2.0f2, (and probably earlier version), when a file is written to
a floppy disk, and the floppy disk becomes full, there is no error or
warning generated.  This has caused several of my students to lose
work (My code uses "with-open-file", but I've also seen that Compile
File... doesn't complain.  I haven't bothered to try filling my hard
disk, so I don't know whether the problem is more general.

Is there anyway to detect this condition, or falling that, is there
anyway from MCL to determine how much free space is on a floppy disk,
so I can anticipate this error?

Thanks
Mike