How to save pictures (handles)

Does anyone know how to save a picture to a file and read it back?
I am (still) running MACL 1.3.2 with system 6, and am referring
to the handle returned by (ask *graphics-window* (get-picture)),
but I presume MCL 2.0 has something similar.

I would like to do this because I need to do color plots, and the color
printer is on another Mac, where I would like to load LISP quickly,
load the plots and diagrams, print them and then free up the machine.
THe plots are  originally made with a larger environment and take more
time to generate.

Thanks v. much

Dave Bright
NIST