RE: RE: MCL Application Framework

>> Supporting portability to other machines is an important feature that will
>>facilitate all kinds of things. As far as I can tell from the message I'm
>>responding to, BEDROCK provides only a solution between Mac and Windows.
Until >>everybody else forgets about Unix, we shouldn't either. Let's consider
the >>unix/X/motif &open Look
>>platforms too.

The bedrock technology will be available commercially in the first half of 1993
on Apple Macintosh and Microsoft Windows, with future versions supporting other
desktop platforms such as IBM OS/2, UNIX and Microsoft NT.  The product will be
available internationally through both Apple and Symantec distribution
channels.

CLIM may be a good interim solution until Bedrock becomes available on other
platforms.  The drawback of CLIM is that it is LISP specific where Bedrock is
not.

The info that I posted about Bedrock was incomplete. Here is a more complete
description that I downloaded from Applelink.

For Immediate Release

Contacts:
Jackie Brinker
Symantec Corporation
(408) 446-7490

Jackie Promes
Apple Computer, Inc.
(408) 974-3609

Julie McHenry/Lerry Wilson
Wilson McHenry Company
(415) 592-7600

Apple and Symantec Announce Plan to Help Speed Software Applications
Development

Cross-platform Software Development Solution

NEW YORK-June 23, 1992-Symantec Corporation (NASDAQ: SYMC) and Apple Computer,
Inc. (NASDAQ: AAPL) today announced a development and marketing agreement to
provide a cross-platform application framework for Apple(r) Macintosh(r) computers
and Microsoft(r) Windows(r)-based PCs.  The agreement is designed to aid commercial
and corporate software developers in quickly creating new applications for
multiple desktop computing platforms.

Symantec will provide the cross-platform application framework-known as the
Bedrock(tm) framework-that it is currently using internally to develop
applications for Apple Macintosh computers and Microsoft Windows.  Symantec
will leverage Apple engineering resources and Apple's current object-oriented
framework technology, MacApp(r).  Both Apple and Symantec will use the Bedrock
framework technology internally, and work together to support the developer
community's transition to the Bedrock framework.

"Our customers face two major problems: a growing number of applications that
need to be written, and a growing number of desktop computing platforms that
need support," said Gordon Eubanks, president and CEO of Symantec.  "The
Bedrock framework developed from our internal technology, and enhanced by
Apple's experience in object technology, will enable corporate customers and
independent software developers to begin solving these problems."

"This agreement will alter the dynamics of the personal computer software
industry by decreasing development complexity and increasing developer
opportunities," said Roger Heinen, senior vice president and general manager of
Apple's Macintosh Software Architecture division.  "Cross-platform development
has been a very important requirement for out developers.  We believe that
Symantec, with Apple's assistance, will deliver the best solution."

An application framework provides a common set of building blocks or "objects"
that provide the basic structure for an application.  The framework enables
developers to more quickly and easily create applications while providing the
freedom to innovate.  MacApp, Apple's framework, has been successfully
providing this support for Macintosh developers.  The Bedrock framework extends
state-of-the-art framework technology by enabling developers to use one
framework to develop applications for multiple platforms.

By applying the framework approach to cross-platform development, Symantec's
Bedrock framework enables software developers to maintain a single version of
source code for platform-specific versions of an application.  In addition to
shortening the development cycle, the cross-platform framework results in
better product reliability and maintenance, as well as more efficient
localization for global markets.

The bedrock technology will be available commercially in the first half of 1993
on Apple Macintosh and Microsoft Windows, with future versions supporting other
desktop platforms such as IBM OS/2, UNIX and Microsoft NT.  The product will be
available internationally through both Apple and Symantec distribution
channels.

Symantec Corporation develops, markets and supports a complete line of
application and system software products for IBM compatible PCs and Apple
Macintosh computers, and development tools for leading desktop operating
systems.  Information on the company and products can be obtained by calling:
(800) 441-7234 or (408) 252-3570.

Apple Computer, Inc. develops, manufactures and markets computer technology for
use in business, education and government.  A recognized pioneer and innovator
in the personal computer industry, Apple does business in more than 120
countries.

Note to Editors:

For additional information on the Bedrock applications framework, please call
(415) 592-7600 and request any of the following:

   o For technical information, request: Bedrock framework White Paper
   o For market information, request: Development Tools Market Backgrounder
   o For June 23, 1992 press conference remarks request: Symantec/Apple Bedrock
Framework Remarks
   o For hardcopy of June 23, 1992 press presentation, request: Symantec/Apple
press presentation

-30-

Bedrock is a trademark of Symantec Corporation.  Apple, the Apple logo,
Macintosh and MacApp are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.  Other
brands and products are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective
holders and should be treated as such.

Developer Support: Developer Services: Tools & Apps: Cross-Platform Framework
6-23-92

CROSS-PLATFORM FRAMEWORK Q & A
6/23/92

[For the full text of the Apple/Symantec announcement, please see the press
release posted in this folder.]

Q.  What is being announced today?
A.  Symantec Corporation and Apple Computer, Inc. today announced a development
    and marketing agreement to provide a cross-platform application framework,
    known as Bedrock, for Apple(r) Macintosh(r) computers and Microsoft(r)
    Windows(r)-based PCs. The agreement is designed to aid commercial and
    corporate software developers in quickly creating new applications for
    multiple desktop computing platforms.#000#

Q.  Is this a product announcement?
A.  No. Apple and Symantec are announcing an agreement to develop a
    cross-platform product. Details and product announcement will follow at a
    time closer to product delivery.

Q.  What is an object-oriented application framework?
A.  An object-oriented application framework provides a common set of building
    blocks or "objects" that provide the basic structure for an application.
    It has a set of reusable class libraries that make up a generic application
    that the developer can customize with specific features. The framework
    enables commercial and in-house developers to more quickly and easily
    create applications while providing the freedom to innovate. MacApp,
    Apple's framework, has successfully provided this support for Macintosh
    developers. The Bedrock framework extends state-of-the-art framework
    technology by enabling developers to use one framework to develop
    applications for multiple platforms.

Q.  How does an application framework enable cross-platform development?
A.  An object-oriented application framework provides common abstractions for
    underlying platform specific facilities. By providing these higher-level
    abstractions on multiple platforms, programs developed with the framework
    are insulated from the differences between platforms but still maintain the
    native look and feel of the platform. This can be done, because the
    framework is object-oriented, without subscribing to the lowest-common
    denominator but to the highest common multiple, allowing developers to
    concentrate on the platform features they can adopt to differentiate their
    applications.

Q.  Who will use the Bedrock cross-platform application framework?
A.  The Bedrock technology is targeted for Macintosh and Windows developers who
    wish to create cross-platform applications, as well as developers of
    single-platform applications. A long-term goal for Apple and Symantec is
    to develop Bedrock technology into the best application framework available
    for development on either the Apple Macintosh or Microsoft Windows
    platforms. When Bedrock is delivered, Apple will propose to MacApp users
    and other developers a process for migrating from MacApp to the Bedrock
    framework.

Q.  Why is Apple doing a cross-platform application framework?
A.  --To develop a healthy, Macintosh developer community that creates
    innovative, successful applications on the Macintosh and other platforms
    without complete duplication of programming efforts.
    --To help ensure adoption of new, innovative, Apple technology on the
    Macintosh and other platforms.

Q.  How does the framework fit into Apple's software strategy?
A.  The cross-platform framework is an vital piece of Apple's software
    strategy, providing developers with easier access to new technology.

Q.  How does the Bedrock framework benefit Macintosh developers?
A.  Bedrock will enable Macintosh developers to create products for multiple
    platforms without incurring the expense of two complete but separate
    development teams. Unlike procedural cross-platform approaches, Bedrock
    will allow developers to concentrate on the meaningful differences of the
    platform, exploiting of the advantages of the Macintosh while developing
    for multiple platforms. Bedrock will also provide for easier adoption of
    new technology as it is encapsulated into the framework features.

Q.  Why is Apple entering into an agreement with Symantec?
A.  --To quickly make a cross-platform application framework available to
    developers.
    --Symantec has significant experience with Macintosh and Windows
    development tools and marketing.
    --Symantec is a respected development tools vendor.
    --After considerable investigation by our engineering team it was obvious
    that the Symantec framework is great technology.
    --Symantec has strong, well-established distribution channels.

Q.  What is the relationship between Apple and Symantec?
A.  Apple and Symantec signed an agreement to develop and distribute a
    cross-platform application framework. The framework will be built on
    Symantec's Bedrock application framework, a work-in-progress that is
    currently being used for development at Symantec. Apple will contribute
    engineers to the project which will leverage Apple's MacApp technology to
    bring the best possible cross-platform application framework to the market.
    Both companies will make the resulting product available to its customers
    and developers.

Q.  How much influence will Apple have on product design/development?
A.  Apple will be able to help drive timely implementation of new technology
    into the framework, enabling framework developers to more easily provide
    new features to customers.

Q.  Will the application framework provide a lowest-common denominator set of
    functionality?
A.  No.  The intent is to provide a framework that allows the best possible
    application to be created on any platform and to take advantage of
    platform-specific features. This will allow developers to focus on the
    meaningful differences between platform APIs and cease coping with
    arbitrary differences between platform APIs.

Q.  Will Bedrock become an Apple product, or is Apple discontinuing MacApp/MPW?
A.  Apple views Bedrock as the successor to MacApp and has acquired rights to
    distribute both the Macintosh development kit, as well as to optionally
    distribute the runtime system as a DLL with its system software.  Apple
    will be providing Bedrock support to developers and intends to distribute
    the Macintosh version as part of Apple's CD-based E.T.O.: EssentialsoToolso
    Objects tools product.

Q.  What are Apple's plans for future releases and support of MacApp?
A.  Because this is a technology announcement some of the product details have
    yet to be determined. After the Apple engineers have an opportunity to
    project the level to which they will be able to contribute to Bedrock we
    will determine if it will be necessary to introduce another version of
    MacApp. If Bedrock assumes all the features of MacApp 3 and more, the need
    for a future version of MacApp is greatly diminished.

Q.  Will this framework replace MacApp?
A.  You can think of Bedrock as the successor to MacApp

Q.  Why has Apple pushed MacApp for so long and now seems to be changing
    strategy?
A.  We feel very strongly that Bedrock is a continuation of the MacApp
    strategy, bringing the experience and know-how of Apple's MacApp
    development to a cross-platform, application framework.

Q.  What is the transition path for MacApp programmers to the new framework?
A.  Continue using MacApp. Bedrock is the successor to MacApp and you can
    expect a transition cost to get to the cross-platform framework. Apple will
    be developing services and tools to help ease the transition effort, but
    some recoding will be necessary. One thing to remember about the transition
    is that although some code will not transfer, many programming skills
    developed for MacApp will apply to Bedrock. If you are already using the
    MacApp framework, the learning curve to adopt Bedrock will be low.

Q.  Can I directly translate my MacApp code to Bedrock?
A.  You will not be able to directly translate MacApp code to Bedrock. There
    will be some effort required to make the transition. This is largely due to
    expanding the framework to encompass more than user interface function and
    provide cross-platform development. Apple will be providing services and
    tools to ease the transition effort.

Q.  What is the transition path for programmers, who do not use MacApp, to the
    framework?
A.  Macintosh programmers who do not use MacApp and who want to do
    cross-platform development need to look at the options. In most cases they
    may want to start MacApp development because the skills programmers acquire
    during a MacApp development project will transfer well to Bedrock. Further
    benefits will result from easier code transfer.

Q.  What programming skills are required to use the framework?
A.  A knowledge of C++ and object-oriented programming techniques.

Q.  Is the framework being developed in C++?
A.  Yes the framework is developed in C++ and allows full use of the language's
    features.

Q.  What C++ compilers can be used with the framework?
A.  Symantec intends to develop Bedrock to be compatible with most, if not all,
    of the standard C++ compilers available on the target platforms.

Q.  Will source code be provided to customers?
A.  That has not yet been determined.

Q.  When will the product ship?
A.  A Macintosh and Windows framework will be shipped during the first half of
    1993.

Q.  How will the framework be distributed?
A.  The product will be distributed by Apple and Symantec through existing
    distribution channels.

Q.  Will it be available on E.T.O.?
A.  Apple intends to distribute an E.T.O. that includes Bedrock.

Q.  How can I get seeded with Bedrock? Is there any documentation or
    specifications available today?
A.  Symantec will not be soliciting "Early Developers" until the fall. At that
    time, we will make information about the program available.