blinking parentheses

I want to have some editable text windows in my MCL application with
scrolling text boxes.  I would like to use text-dialog-items, but, unless I
missed something, I haven't seen any scrolling-text-dialog-items.
Therefore I've tried to use scrolling-fred-dialog-items.  The problem is
that it provides all the fred commands (which I don't want) as well as
basic text editing.  I've managed to disable all but the basic text editing
features by shadowing keyboard commands, but I haven't been able to disable
the blinking parentheses, which I don't need since the user won't be
editing Lisp code.  Is there a way to disable that feature?

Dale J. Skrien   	       	       	       	       	djskrien@colby.edu
Dept. of Mathematics & Computer Science 	       	207-872-3256
Colby College, Waterville  ME  04901