Re: Whiter Whites?

>Perhaps this has been discussed before.  If so, sorry...
>
>I was using the following code (sort of) the other day to draw white text over
>a colored background:
>
>(with-fore-color *white-color*
>  (with-cstrs ((s "A String"))
>    (#_TextBox s (length "A String") r #.#$teJustCenter))) ; where r is a Rect
>
>Much to my suprise the text is not white if the monitor is set to 4 bits deep
>or less.  Why? Well, from the AppleDoc for MCL:

Guillaume Cartier reported this problem just last week. Oliver Steele
suggested that scaling by 257 instead of 256 when mapping from 8 to
16 bit color components fixes the problem. I have a patch for MCL's
MAKE-COLOR, COLOR-RED, COLOR-GREEN, & COLOR-BLUE functions that makes
this change. It will be part of patch 2 for MCL 2.0 (patch 1 will be
available soon). I'll send it to anyone who asks for "color-components-patch".