How to display image arrays in 8bit window?

Dear Experts:

Having just recently upgraded from 1.3.2,
I would appreciate code or tips for this:

To display arrays of numbers as images with MCL2.
I've tried picture-files.lisp in the MCL:examples folder on the CDRom,
which works great for .pict files (both 8 and 24 bit!).

I would like to do image processing with arrays in LISP and display them
in a color window, but I know NOTHNG about handles, etc.  Are there functions
around that will display arrays to a window with pixels at least 8 bits deep?

I've rummaged around in the CD Rom and some of the mail archives, but could
easily have missed the goods.

Thank you,
Dave Bright

Please reply to: bright@gapnet.nist.gov
David S. Bright               National Inst. of Standards and Technology
					         Chem a113
301-975-3911 (voice)	                   Gaithersburg, MD. 20899
301-975-2128  (fax)               Surface & Microanalysis Science Division