Re: cut-and-paste in modal dialogs

> Date:  92-10-12 09:41:11 EDT
> From:  straz@cambridge.apple.com
> Subj:  cut-and-paste in modal dialogs
>
> >Date: Wed, 23 Sep 92 09:21:56 EDT
> >From: wilcox@cmns.think.com
> >To: info-mcl@cambridge.apple.com
> >Subject: cut-and-paste in modal dialogs
> >
> >How can I get standard editing functions (cut, copy, and paste) to work in
> >modal dialog? The function modal-dialog seems to disable all the menus and
> >prevent me from editing my editable-text-dialog-items using command keys.
> >

> This is a >ahem< feature of all Mac modal dialogs, not just MCL.

Not so in System 7. See IM VI, pg. 2-24. Here are the details, from the IM VI
stack on Apple's developer CD-ROM:

``In version 7.0 the Dialog Manager has been updated to provide additional
support for feedback mechanisms and menu bar access. When you display a modal
dialog box, the Dialog Manager disables the Application menu, the About
Balloon Help command in the Help menu, and the About Keyboards command in the
Keyboard menu. It then checks to see if you are handling menus during a modal
dialog box. These conditions are explained in detail in the Compatibility
Guidelines chapter in this volume.

If the Dialog Manager determines that you are not handling your own menus, it
disables the rest of the menu bar except for the Help menu. The Dialog
Manager then determines whether the dialog box contains an active editable
text box and if you have the standard keyboard equivalents for the Cut, Copy,
and Paste commands. If both of these conditions are met, then the Dialog
Manager enables the Edit menu and those commands in the Edit menu.

If the Dialog Manager detects that you are handling menus in your
application, it only disables the Application menu. You must provide access
to the Help and Edit menus. To support the Cut, Copy, and Paste commands you
need to convert the Clipboard before and after you display a modal dialog
box. You can also provide menu bar access in your application by enabling
menus and commands in those menus that make sense in the context of the
current task. See the Compatibility Guidelines chapter in this volume for
information on enabling menus when you display a modal dialog box.''