Re: bug using array dialog items

At 13:45 11/20/92 -0600, lynch@ils.nwu.edu wrote:
>Actually, it's not just *white-color*.
>
>If you use, say, *blue-color*, you will note that the selected-cell ends up
>being drawn in blue on [de]activate event.
>Thus, you're disappearing cells are really just being drawn in
>*white-color*.
>
>Also, since view-[de]activate-event-handler do a simple inversion [ack],
>and *white-color* isn't really white, you are probably seeing a color
>indistinguishable (to us humans) from white, that isn't quite white, being
>inverted to a color that is very close to black, but probably isn't quite
>black.
>Now I'm not sure exactly how the inversion gets off-sync, but it sure looks
>like [de]activate-event is not up to snuff for drawing frames.
>
>[ack]:  *NO* method should do any direct drawing except view-draw-contents!

I sent this to dfoster last Thursday, but forgot to cc info-mcl. I'll
send the patch to anyone who wants it. Ask for "table-frame-color-patch".

-Bill

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1992 10:18:21 -0600
To: dfoster@ils.nwu.edu
From: bill@cambridge.apple.com (Bill St. Clair)
Subject: Re: array-dialog-item bug
Cc: bug-mcl

>;;;  Notice of bug in MCL 2.0
>;;;  David Foster
>;;;  The Institute for the Learning Sciences
>;;;  dfoster@ils.nwu.edu
>;;;
>
>;;;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>;;;  Bug: when setting the frame of an array dialog item to *white-color*,
>;;;  the window refreshes don't work properly on the cells of the array
>;;;  dialog item.  Cell contents go away, parts of cells covered by other
>;;;  windows never are fixed, etc.
>;;;-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>;;; required: code for "array-dialog-item", included in Examples Folder
>

>;;;  To observe the problem, type (doit).  Play around with clicking on
>;;;  cells, switching back and forth between windows, partially covering
>;;;  highlighted cells with another window and then reactivating the
>;;;  window, and so forth.

The view-activate-event-handler & view-deactivate-event-handler methods
were setting the foreground color so that System 6 scroll bars would be
drawn in the :frame color. This was causing the text to be drawn in the
:frame color as well. The enclosed patch, which will be part of patch 2
for MCL 2.0, should fix this problem.