balloon help flickers, why ??

I've implemented a key-handler that allows to switch on and off ballons (as
I find annoying to go back and forth to the menu, 'kind of bit lazy :-)

The called function is something like :

(defun switch-balloons ()
        (set-help (not (help-on?)))
 )

No problem, it works but... not so fine as when I activate by keys and I
would to switch it off by menu, nothing happens. After messing up a while
between key activation/deactivation and menu activation/deactivation the
balloon begins to really flickers before actually displaying the
help-string.

Is it a known bug or should I do something special ?

---
Lafourcade Mathieu
GETA (Groupe d'Etude pour la Traduction Automatique)
IMAG (Institut de Mathematiques Appliquees de Grenoble)
BP 53X, 38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX, FRANCE

Lafourca@imag.fr