Packaging MCL

    Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1993 22:01+0200
    From: ph@netcom.com (Peter Hendrickson)

    I think this is a good idea and here's how to package it: Call it the
    "MCL Operating System".  Distribute it in an "MCL Operating System
    Folder".  Nobody cares how big an operating system is!  When you are
    delivering an MCL program to a customer, you specify that it requires
    the "MCL Operating System" and they won't bat an eye.  The tone of the
    interaction changes from "... but the application will be 1.5MB" to
    "... you are up to date with the MCL Operating System, aren't you?"

I strongly agree with Peter's point of vue.  All this is a question of
psychological matters.  Most interesting applications are a few hundred
Ko, but they all come on 6 disks, the rest being utility files.  How
about making the MCL kernel a set of utility files, each one being
loaded when necessary (this reconciles Peter's idea with the previous
ones about MCL libraries).

However, it won't solve the "small utilities" problem I talked about in
a previous message.  Still, it's a step in the right direction.

    Peter Hendrickson
    ph@netcom.com

vk
--