Editting text in fred windows

I am writing a translation assistance program that allows the user to edit
the translated text in an interlinear format (that is, the paragraph of
Japanese is double-spaced and the english translation is put in the blank
lines between the japanese).  I hacked together some code for this kind
of a text editor, but handling everything in LISP from keystrokes to printing
individual characters and splitting lines is too slow).

Is there any way to use text-edit or some other code to allow me to have
an sentence on the screen that is being edited where the sentence starts in
the middle of the screen (first line) but at the left edge of the screen
(err, window, that is) on all following lines and have the sentence
double/triple spaced so the Japanese can run in-between?

--Matthew