Memory Shortage

I am writing a production system in ops5 which calls external lisp
routines, which themselves call quickdraw routines. Somewhere, in the
process of doing this, I am slowly using up (permanently) more and more
space in the Mac Heap. I don't seem to be able to free up this space by
garbage collecting. I also tried to use some heap traps (_purgemem), but
again, no luck. So, for example, when I run this simulation, the Mac
Heap starts out at around 250K, and when it finishes it is around 150K.
You can see why this is a problem since if I run the program more than
twice I run out of memory and the macintosh crashes.

I think the problem arises somewhere in using the quickdraw routines,
because by itself, the ops5 code doesn't (shouldn't) use up any heap
space. Although I am working with a lot of bitmaps, grafports, and
windows, I am pretty careful about getting rid of them (using
dispose-record).

Any ideas about why this is happening, how to increase the Mac Heap
size, or how to purge from the Mac Heap would be extremely helpful.

thanks,

Anthony