Re: Update on IIsi vs. MCL

At  8:04 PM 10/31/93 -0500, Don Winiecki wrote:

>Crew:
>
>Many thanks for all the on-line assistance today! (10/31/93)
>
>To update on several points:
>
>1. Yes Fred, VAXen can be a tough language to get on with...
>
>   But the assistance from Ernest T Rees was right on. I had to receive the
>   file with another name (didn't even know that you could do that with the
>   VAX... <no surprise there> as I tell my students; "It's a never
>   ending battle against knowledge!").
>
>2. After retrieving and installing the 2.0.1 updater (they're RIGHT, it
>   takes a while <or at least several whiles...> I no longer experience
>   the printing problems <one small step...>.
>
>   however:
>
>    a. The screen mapping problem still exists for 16 colors/greys and below.
>       but as before, is correct with 256 colors/greys.

This sounds a bit like a reported problem with the ptable init.  If you remove
the ptable init, does the screen mapping problem go away?  (It also might be useful
to know what type of monitor you are using.)

>    b. I can no longer use virtual memory with MCL 2.0.1.
>
>       When attempting to launch the app with VM enabled, it crashes the system
>       with an:
>
>                                ERROR TYPE 7
>
>       and a very ominous looking bomb dialog  =:-o (hair standing on end).

This is a new one to me; do you have access to a copy of MacsBug?  (If not, I can
mail you one.)  To find out what's going on here I really need more information,
than you can get without it....

>       ** After starting the machine with extensions disabled, and having
>       success, I tried systematically removing each of the extensions
>       alphabetically but could not isolate which of them was/is causing the
>       problem...
>
>       I'm no expert, but it's been my observation that the lower the error
>       code, the "lower level" is the problem. From this I can guess that
>       either my memory extension is bad or that MCL 2.0.1 missed one problem
>       (in light of this I expected that replacing the memory extension
>       would correct the problem, but doing so was not successful).
>
>       Each of these problems occur in 24 or 32-bit mode.
>
>3. I *am having success* in running MCL 2.0.1 without virtual memory, using
>   the 2.0.1 "ptable" extension and in 32-bit mode.
>
>Additionally,
>
>I noticed this next issue before, but didn't know if it was caused by the
>printing problems I was having with MCL 2.0, but it still occurs in 2.0.1.
>
>When printing, there is no "annunciator type" dialog box that tells of the
>printing process and to "press command-. to cancel" the print job. I may be
>mistaken but it seems as though this dialog appears as part of all other Mac
>applications... (that I use).
>
>Should this printing dialog appear? It's probably a fairly trivial procedure
>to write, but nontheless ... <as I shrug>.
>
>As I sit, I *can work* in MCL 2.0.1 (as far as i've tried at least) but am a
>little frustrated by the compromises forced upon me.

Running MCL with VM may not be the ideal situation (unless, of course, you are
forced into it) because the MacOS virtual memory design was optimized towards
running many little applications in virtual memory (which is what most vanilla
Mac users do), rather than running one huge one (which is what most MCL users want).