sizeof

    Date: Mon, 10 Jan 1994 17:41:08 -0500
    From: e@flavors.com (Doug Currie, Flavors Technology, Inc.)

    >   This reminds me... I've heard it said that
    >    "LISP programmers know the value of everything and the cost of nothing."
    >
    >   Anybody know the origin of this statement?
    >
    >I believe this is by the late Alan Perlis, who was the first Turing
    >Award winner, a wonderful teacher, and an endless supply of such
    >quips.

    This rings a bell; I recall N. Wirth repeating the quip in an acm lecture
    and adding that Pascal programmers know the "wirth" of everything.

On the other hand, there's always this observation from somewhere in netland
(it was quoted to me without attribution a long time ago):

Q.      Why is Niklaus Wirth called "Nick-laus Veert" in Europe
        and "Nickle-less Worth" in the U.S.A.?
A.      Because the Europeans call him by name and the Americans
        call him by value.

--Bob