Re: Graphics questions +

1) (Gray text)
In menus, for instance, the system draws the text in black, and then draws
over it a gray rectangle in patBic mode. Or if you want to consider only color
systems, you can set the fore color to gray.

2) (Modes)
Black & white QuickDraw made a distinction between scr and pat modes. Color QD
works with both.

3) (DisposeRecord)
MacPtrs are not garbage-collected, but there is no unique way to dispose of
them. The stack-allocated ones are taken care of automatically, some (windows)
need special care, etc.

4) (Aborting event processing)
Huh ? Event processing is some System thing below the Lisp level. There is
nothing to abort and restart. Do you mean abort the processing of one event ?

5) (Xor)
I'm not sure you will get consistent results in all versions of QuickDraw.
You may have to experiment.

6) (Set pen thickness)
These functions are fast in QuickDraw.

7) (Drawable-id)
Try (%ptr-to-int (wptr the-window)). It will give you the address of the Mac
data structure for the window.

8) (Mouse up & down)
The event record contains the global mouse coordinates in both cases (It might
not be in a window at all), but MCL converts the mouse down to local before
calling the view click handler. To do the same for mouse up, you can use the
GlobalToLocal trap.

9) (RAM)
Yes, more RAM helps performance. You might try the ephemeral GC too.

10) (Quitting Lisp but not FRED)
Since there is only one Lisp process and heap, I don't see how this could be
done. One workaround is to save the names of the files on quit, and reload
them on startup.

     Daniel.