MCL's dead, a nation mourne.

Hello Apple,

When I buy a Macintosh, I don't only buy a computer (or else, I would have
bought a PC years ago). I buy the look and feel, the first window based
system, the one I find the best, the 1984's spirit.

When I buy MCL, I don't only buy a computer program. I buy a development
environment, a really powerfull implementation of LISP, a set of classes
that help me design a Mac like application.

When buying a development environment, the main criterion is the way it
will evolve, the amount of work I have to do to port my code to the next
version.
I chose MCL/mac, because I considered it was the best Lisp
Implementation/Plateform I found. When a compagny like Apple drops such an
environment, it is a coup de Jarnac for all developpers who worked with it,
for all people who made their code available, for all the info-mcl
community who helped YOU getting money by contributing to MCL's life.

HOW CAN YOU IMAGINE I WILL BUY ANY OTHER DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT FROM YOU ?
HOW CAN YOU IMAGINE I WILL CONTINUE TO BUY MACINTOSHES IF I KNOW THEY WON'T
BE UPGRADABLE ?
HOW CAN YOU IMAGINE YOU WILL SURVIVE BUY TAKING SUCH SILLY DECISIONS ?

I can't imagine that developpers at cambridge are not able to port MCL if
you give them a little time and money. If they can not do it, they are
doing something else. WHAT ?

Tell us what you are planning! Tell us that we are not obliged to buy
PowerPC based IBM to run other lisps.

All of us want to use a dynamic language, some of us want to use LISP. Tell
us what you will do for us!

Or tell us if you plan just to sell Sega's or Nintendo's clones...

Gilles,

 Au paradis, on est assis a la droite de Dieu.
 C'est normal, c'est la place du mort.    P. Desproges
-----  Gilles.Serasset@imag.fr (Gilles Serasset)  ----
GETA IMAG, UJF et CNRS, BP 53 F-38041 GRENOBLE CEDEX 9