Re: Future Plans for MCL

Dear Mr. Fleischman,
I am disheartened by Apple's apparent decision to not provide a
native version of MCL for the PowerPC.  Over the next year or so our
computer music center must decide which workstation to use as the
standard platform for developing our audio and music composition
software over the next 5-8 years. A fast, efficient Lisp
implementation with a foreign language interface is critical to our
needs because it provides the best software environment for
developing complex, interactive audio/music applications.  The
PowerPC with a native MCL was a serious contender to replace our
current generation of Unix based machines.  Frankly, if you gave MCL
workstation speed and an advertising budget I can't see how it
wouldn't gain a significant share of the general lisp workstation
market: its already got the best developer's environment short of
Interlisp and Genera (I've had years of experience on both), and at a
fraction of the cost.

	Rick Taube
	Zentrum fuer Kunst und Medientechnologie
	Karlsruhe, Germany
	hkt@zkm.de