Re: problem understanding without-interrupts...?

>This function has the proper behavior when it is called from the
>listener. However, when I call it by attaching it to a menubar
>item and selecting that item, only the windows are opened and
>closed, and no dialog items are displayed.

>The same behavior exists when I add a without-interrupts

without-interrupts disables event processing. Your code must need to
process events to display the dialog items. Menu item actions take place in
event-processing time while further events are also disabled. You could try
having the menu item eval-enqueue your function rather than call it
directly.