view drawing question

Does anyone know how to force a view to draw its subviews on top of
itself?  My situation is this : I'm working on an interface-building
program, basically a bunch of extensions to Interface Tools, and one
of the thing I'm trying to implement is grouping objects, for a number
of reasons. When I group a number of items, I create a group object,
which is a subclass of view.  I make it large enough to enclose all
the selected views, then I set the view-container of each item to be
the group view.

By default, the group view will draw itself on top of its subviews,
obscuring them. What I need is something akin to set-window-layer, but
for views.

any ideas?

thanks,
	Adam