Re: Q:MCL,FoxPro,and AppleScript: can they cooperate?

In article <schmitt.777849542@tartarus> schmitt@tartarus.uchicago.edu (Kathryn Schmitt) writes:

   I'd like to write an application in MCL that makes use of data coming from
   a FoxPro database.  I was planning on using Applescript to allow MCL to
   send an SQL query to FoxPro, have FoxPro run the query, and then send the
   results back to MCL.  This is proving much more difficult than I anticipated.
   For one thing, although FoxPro 2.5 claims to be AppleScriptable, this is only
   in the very weakest sense of the term (as far as I can tell).  It would be
   nice for AppleScript to be able to refer to FoxPro objects, but this is not
   possible.  It looks as if I can have MCL write a file with an SQL query in
   it, and then FoxPro can run it and print the results to another file, which
   MCL can then read.  Yuck!  Is the way it has to be done?!?

   Has anyone tried anything like this?  Should I be looking into other Mac
   database products?  Any feedback appreciated!

Well, i'm not too far along, but am trying to do similar things.  We don't
do an sql query, as at least at the moment, the "query" is fixed.  We
output several files in comma separated values format.  FOXPRO fires up the
MCL application which reads the files, does its work and produces another
set of files.  I'll keep you posted on how this goes.

--
Ken Anderson
Internet: kanderson@bbn.com