Re: reducing lisp programs' size

At  5:45 PM 3/16/95 +0000, Dave Dyer wrote:

>Building shared libraries can yield real benefits, *if* there are several
>lisp programs running to do the sharing.  Most places, its a struggle
>to get the first lisp program on the run list.
>
>It is wonderful to be able to download trivially small programs with
>wonderful functionality, but that isn't Lisp's niche.

In my view, the way to think about is having one lisp image up and running
all the time that handles requests from the net or other processes in a
multi-threaded
fashion.

This works but is different from the start-microsopic app, run, and kill
model that
is wedged into most people's heads.

This is more the lisp machine model than the perl script approach.

In fact, this is what we do in MCL to run the HTTP server written in lisp.