Re: limited number of items in table-sequence ????

At 10:25 AM 4/7/95, Mathieu Lafourcade wrote:
>Hi mclers,
>
>I developing a dictionary tool and including a sequence-dialog-item in my gui.
>It seems that the number of items of sequence-dialog-item is limited
>(around 4278 ??) Am i right?

Just about right. MCL's table-dialog-item is based on the Macintosh
list manager which, as I remember, limits the size of lists to 4096
entries.

>The whole dictionary will contain more than 15000 items. Should I develop
>myself a new sequence-dialog-item manager? What about cached
>sequence-dialog-item?

The inspector handles sequences of any length. It's possible that you
can save yourself some work by basing your new sequence-dialog-item on
inspector::inspector-view. In 20/20 hindsight, I would have done better
to write a table-dialog-item that didn't depend on the Macintosh list
manager and then implement the Inspector on top of that, but I didn't
realize that when I wrote the Inspector.