Re: Larger Mac Heap than Default

In article <3mmrkq$dlh@kernighan.cs.umass.edu>, eliot@cs.umass.edu
(CHRISTOPHER ELIOT) wrote:

> I'm trying to manipulate some large graphic images (1 meg +)
> and would like to know if there is some way to make MCL keep
> more open room in the Mac heap, rather than in the Lisp heap.

You could either change this statically for your lisp image (with a
parameter to save-application or by changing the lsiz ressource with
resedit or
do this at run time by the following

(defun set-mac-heap-size (size)
  (let (p)
    (when (> size (#_freemem))
      (setq p (#_newptr
               :d0 size
               :a0))
      (if (%null-ptr-p p) nil (#_disposptr p)))))

I assume that we got this code from Bill St'Clair. Unfortunately there
does not seem to be a way to decrease the mac heap.

 Karsten