Re: WANTED: More Emacs-like Fred

In article <1995Apr25.173655.18564@ptolemy-ethernet.arc.nasa.gov>,
chucko@kronos.arc.nasa.gov (Chuck Fry ) wrote:

    I'm constantly switching between a Un*x machine and my Mac.  My
    fingers are stuck in a rut from over a decade of using Emacs and
    friends, and I find it very frustrating that keystrokes like c-L don't
    do what my fingers expect in Fred.  This is a big issue for me,
    because my carpal tunnel injury is aggravated by using the mouse....

I can't address the emacs bindings issue. However, I have experience with
mouse problems. Leaving aside trackballs and the like, it's clear that
some mice are better than others for the hands. My experience says:

- adb mouse II (for mac; the one with the rounded look) is much better
than older mice (more square-looking)
- clean mouse ball, good mouse pad, etc are important; lets you avoid
frustrating repeated moves
- the softer the mouse click the better
- the one optical mouse I tried for the mac is bad (don't know the name;
it's a three-button type)
- it is possible to switch mouse usage to the opposite hand; you're very
slow for a day, somewhat slow for a week, and perhaps 90-95% as good as
the dominant hand in the long run (for me, this is very acceptable given
the consequences)

good luck,

ej

--