Re: stack overflow

At 23:10 5/1/95, Philip A. Oye wrote:
>I too have the same problem of getting "Stack Overflow" when running a
>program that I know works.  I have a LC475 running System 7.1 with 8MB
>RAM.  Any ideas as to why this occurs?  Another post mentioned using
>ResEdit to alter the stack size, but I wouldn't think that would
>necessary for running simple code on a machine made by Apple using
>software made by Apple.  As a test, I temporarily installed MCL 2.0
>using my disks onto my friends Duo 230 with no problem and since that
>machine does not have an FPU either, it leads me to think that that is
>not the source of the error.

I'm 99% sure you need either to upgrade to MCL 2.0.1 or install the
"Centris-without-FPU" patch.  Both the upgrade and that patch are
available on Digitool's FTP server via anonymous FTP.  (Or if you
prefer, you can upgrade through APDA for $25 and get a new CD-ROM
of MCL 2.0.1.)

The reason the problem doesn't show up on the Duo 230 is that its
CPU is a 68030.  The FPU problem was that originally there were
no models of 68040 without an FPU, and so the code assumed that
if there was a 68040 there was also an FPU.  The 68LC040 changed
that assumption.