string to symbol, how?

I know it has been discussed here a while ago, but I thought
I'd never need it and didn't pay attention :-(  Now I do need
it: can someone tell me how to convert a string to a symbol?

Thanks!
Manfred

Manfred Stede                                  stede@faw.uni-ulm.de
FAW Ulm
P.O. Box 2060                                                      __o
89010 Ulm                                                        _ \<,_
Germany                                                         (_)/ (_)
                                                                     \
                                                                      \