Re: string to symbol, how?

In article <Doug_Merrill-0705950956300001@dmerrill.rand.org> Doug_Merrill@rand.org (Douglas C. Merrill) writes:

   In article <poeck-0605951244570001@wi6a65.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>,
   poeck@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de (Karsten Poeck) wrote:

   > In article <3ocrgq$7in@waage.rz.uni-ulm.de>, stede@faw.uni-ulm.de (Manfred
   > Stede) wrote:
   >
   > > it: can someone tell me how to convert a string to a symbol?
   >
   > (intern (string-upcase "The string") (find-package :your-favorite-package))
   >
   >  Karsten A. Poeck, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI, Universitaet Wuerzburg

   The only problem with using intern rather than read-from-string is that
   your final symbol is sensitive to the print-case you happen to have set.
   Read-from-string doesn't behave this way, but does return multiple-values
   (if for some strange reason you care about that).

Yes, but read-from-string is a Big Hammer which is pretty costly to use and
may do more than you want.

--
Ken Anderson
Internet: kanderson@bbn.com