Re: info

At 7:45 AM 5/24/95, Tom Donaldson wrote:
>Mohammed,
>
>Will MCL 3.0 allow calling foreign functions compiled "model -far"?  MCL
>2.0.1 does not.
>
>I have a large, robust, fulltext retrieval engine library that I would like
>to call from MCL; once upon a time, it was compiled model mear, and I had
>no problem. However, the engine had problems dealing with megabytes of
>data, so it now ships as a full 32-bit library on all platforms but
>MSWindoze (many varieties of Unix, VAX/VMS, and four versions for the Mac:
>MPW and CodeWarrior for Mac 68K and PowerMac, and more ports underway).
>
>To date, the only dynamic languages I have found for the Mac that I am
>pretty sure I could get to work with our library are freebies with full
>source: I can recompile them and link in our lib.  SmalltalkAgents wants to
>load foreign code as a standalone code resource, which can only be compiled
>model near.  MCL 2.0 probably has the same problem for the same reasons.
>
>I have visited your Web page, but can find no mention of foreign function
>interface features or limitations.
>
>I am very near to deciding my upgrade path from my current Mac IIci at home
>is to a low end Sun Sparc (I develop on a Sun Sparc 20 at work), rather
>than a PowerMac.  The tools work; home is where I do my skunk works; I need
>tools at home that work.
>
>I love MCL, the little I have played with it (used to be a Xerox
>Interlisp-D developer).  Would love to be able to use it for something
>serious!
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>
>----------------------------
>Tom Donaldson
>pp002882@interramp.com

MCL 3.0 does not support the far model. You may be able to generate a code
resource containing your code and access it that way. There are a couple of
examples (one for Think C and one for Codewarrior C) that implement code
resource linking schemes in our contributions directory at ftp.digitool.com
/pub/mcl/contrib.

- Steve Hain

Digitool, Inc.
                       One Main Street   7th Floor   Cambridge, MA 02142   USA
                              Internet: slh@digitool.com   AppleLink: digitool
                                      World Wide Web: http://www.digitool.com/
                                         Tel: 617 441-5000   Fax: 617 576-7680