Contributed code

> There seem to be a lot of portability problems with this code, largely
> (I think) due to it's attempts to run on old (pre-CLtL2) lisps.  Maybe
> it should be split into pre- and post-CLtL2 versions (Mark?).

I've been planning to do this (making defsystem CLOS-based too) for over two
years now. The main impediment has been time; revising defsystem will take at
least a solid month's work, and I haven't been able to free up that much time.
But you're right -- ensuring compatability with 25 lisp implementations causes
lots of problems, especially when one tries to be clever and write a single
function to work in any of them.

--mark