Analogue input for MCL

    Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 08:27-0000
    From: "Vincent Keunen" <keunen@montefiore.ulg.ac.be>

    At  9:33 17/06/93 +0000, Peter Paine wrote :
    >I need to input an analogue signal to MCL.
    >
    >Can anyone advise on possible methods please?
    >
    >Preferably I need pointers for the whole caboodle: an A/D convertion,
    >signal processing (shift, gain) sample and data flow control, and pickup
    >points in MCL.
    >
    >Is this all beyond the state of the art!

    Can you summarize the replies to me/the net?

    Thanks

    Vincent

    --
    Keunen Vincent
    R&D, Software Engineer

One reply: --------------------------
    Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 16:00-0000
    From: straz@cambridge.apple.com (Steve Strassmann)

    I hope not, I was able to sample audio from the tape recorder jack
    on my Apple II in 1979. Check out the Sound Manager chapter of
    Inside Macintosh, volume VI, the section on recording sounds directly
    from a device - this'll get you crummy 8-bit sampling, which may not
    be good enough for your needs. Of course, make sure you have a Mac
    with a sound input jack first!

    There's also a large selection of A/D boards you can add which do
    all sorts of things. Try National Instruments, or any music nerd
    magazine.
-------------------------------------

I still urgently need far more information, especially re. A/D boards.

Unfortunately "music nerd" magazines don't seem to get as far as my
area, nor do local Mac dealers comprehend my query.  So I am still not
much the wiser.

I had imagined that user-friendly Mac A/D boards existed but it is
certainly proving very difficult to track down anything useful whatever.

Perhaps around LA and Boston there are many outlets for such things, it
would be a very useful service were Apple to be able to give people in
other areas (especially overseas) some real pointers - it is not
realistic to phone random Boston dealers (on international calls at
one's private expense).

I had plans to hack up a ECG display for a friend, but it looks as
though this could biting off too much (at least in MCL). Maybe it is
more practical in NeXTstep.