ff-interface

I am trying to load MathLink (compiled C library) into the ff-interface of
MCL.  All of the C functions expect 2 parameters, an integer giving the length
of the second parameter, which is "an array of strings".  I cannot decipher
how to construct an an array of strings in LISP and then pass it to the C
function.  Does anybody have any idea what data types to use.  It seems that
C is expecting a pointer to the beginning of a contiguous set of strings, but
I don't know enough to construct this set in LISP, get a pointer to it and
then pass it to the C function.