Playing linear or Ulaw encoded sound under MCL

 >To: Steve Strassmann <straz@CAMBRIDGE.APPLE.COM>
 >Cc: info-mcl@CAMBRIDGE.APPLE.COM
 >Subject: Re: Playing linear or Ulaw encoded sound under MCL
 >Date: Thu, 06 May 93 18:57:38 -0400
 >From: Mark Kantrowitz <Mark_Kantrowitz@GLINDA.OZ.CS.CMU.EDU>
 >
 >> >these sounds directly, without having to create a SND resource as an
 >> >intermediate step.
 >>
 >> I don't know of any other software that plays non-mac sound format
 >> without a conversion step first. I can't even imagine how they could.
 >
 >The point is that being forced to create an intermediate file (SND resource)
 >eliminates the possibility of incremental output. Data conversion is fine, but
 >why should I have to wait until the last bit of the file is written to play the
 >first bit? My program synthesizes the waveform in almost real-time; if the full
 >waveform is half an hour in duration, I don't want to have to wait a half hour
 >to hear it.
 >
 >--mark

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. The Mac sound manager will play
digital samples. You pass it pointers to buffers containing the samples.

Read "Inside Macintosh", volume V, p 485+ for more info. The data format
of these buffers are documented there, so you can stuff your waveforms
directly in as you create them; no need to create SND files.