Playing linear or Ulaw encoded sound under MCL

> >these sounds directly, without having to create a SND resource as an
> >intermediate step.
>
> I don't know of any other software that plays non-mac sound format
> without a conversion step first. I can't even imagine how they could.

The point is that being forced to create an intermediate file (SND resource)
eliminates the possibility of incremental output. Data conversion is fine, but
why should I have to wait until the last bit of the file is written to play the
first bit? My program synthesizes the waveform in almost real-time; if the full
waveform is half an hour in duration, I don't want to have to wait a half hour
to hear it.

--mark