[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
SUMMARY: IIci Accelerators for MCL
- Subject: SUMMARY: IIci Accelerators for MCL
- From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Dick Jackson)
- Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 19:28:05 GMT
Some time back, I'd asked for info about:
Subject: Re: Best/Safest IIci Accelerator for MCL use?
I got two informative replies, and several requests to see a summary, so
Thanks to Bob and Mark!
========== From: Mark Westling <email@example.com> ==========
I'm running MCL 2.0p2 on my IIci using a Daystar Turbo '040
accelerator, 33 MHz, with external cache card. I did have
to obtain a patch from Apple (specifically, Bill St.Clair),
though, but it now works fine (and *very* speedy, too).
I decided to get the Daystar '040 board for two reasons: (1)
it's cheap compared to the Radius Rocket, and (2) Daystar
has a nice upgrade policy--every time they release a faster
board, they let current owners upgrade for a much reduced
price. I ordered my board from "Hardware That Fits" for
If you do get the Daystar board, ask Bill St. Clair for the
"MMU for IIci" patch, or if you like, I'll send it to you.
========== From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Bob Hall) ==========
Here is a copy of my summary of replies I got when I asked essentially
the same question a few months ago.
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 93 12:05:00 EST
From: email@example.com (Bob Hall)
Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about IIci upgrades.
Evidently the Apple people are putting together a more comprehensive
study of the issue, but I'll just summarize as follows
- Bill suggested using a video card, since if you don't then the video
contends with the cpu over memory.
- Short of a video card, others have recommended switching to black
video instead of color.
- Also, there was a suggestion to put the smaller
of unequal memory chip sizes in bank A, decreasing the likelihood of
a collision between video and cpu. e.g. 4M in A and 16M in B.
- Several recommended a cache card, such as the Daystar Powercache or
Apple IIci cache card.
- Others have said Radius Rocket 33 runs MCL, but Rocketshare doesn't
but that's okay unless you want to do some things that need
- There is also an Apple upgrade path involving swapping the
and some other stuff, which is more expensive, but maybe more
-- Bob Hall
Dick Jackson \_ firstname.lastname@example.org
Institute for Biodiagnostics \_ Winnipeg, Manitoba
National Research Council Canada \_ Opinions are mine