Breakage of print-u utilities with Centris and/or System 7.1

Mark Tapia's print-u utilities worked great on my FX using system 7, but
unfortunately they break on my new system, a Centris 650 with System 7.1.
The symptom of the breakage is that save-file never successfully completes.
 I think it gets canceled along the way.  (The contents of the file do
appear to get saved, but MCL doesn't realize this, causing many problems.)
It took me a long time, but I finally traced the problem to print-u, which
I was loading as part of my init file.  I was using the latest version of
print-u -- the one on cambridge.apple.com.

If anyone finds a fix, please let me know.

-Rich Sutton