Two difficulties in running PCL on AKCL

I am now running a very recent version (this month's, in fact)
of Austin KCL.  I'm trying to compile and run the latest PCL
(August 28) on top of it.  I've run into two problems,
illustrated in the examples below.

1) Consider the file

(defvar symb 'func)
(export symb)
(defun func nil t)

This file is accepted without incident if loaded interpretively;
but if compiled, a fresh AKCL refuses to load the .o, claiming
that  symb  is not bound.  Surrounding the forms with

(eval (compile load eval)

doesn't help.

The "pkg" file in PCL contains a construct like this.

2) Consider the file

(defmacro mac (arg) `(progn t (car ,arg)))
(defsetf mac (arg) (val) `(setf (car ,arg) ,val))

After loading this file, any attempt to use  setf  with  mac  -
that is, a form like

(setf (mac stuff) item)

fails.  Apparently  setf  does not look for a setf-form for  mac ,
but rather immediately macro-expands  (mac stuff) .  It then
fails to find a setf-form for  progn , and complains.

CLtL says that the so-called "access function" in  defsetf
can indeed be a macro.  A construct like this is used in PCL's
"low" file.

I have inserted workarounds in these cases, but I'd still like
to know:  Do these constructs work for other people?
Shouldn't they work?

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	att!ihlpf!lgm