Character constants (second try)

Sorry about the blank message that I just sent.   It's very easy to
accidently hit control-c twice in emacs.

I need to generate a character constant for a control character.  Page 354
in Guy Steele's book gives some examples.  I can't seem to get them to work
in akcl.   Here is a transcript of my attempts:

AKCL (Austin Kyoto Common Lisp)  Version(1.112) Mon Apr 17 17:42:38 CDT 1989
Contains Enhancements by W. Schelter

>'#\Control-E

Error: "CONTROL-E" is an illegal character name.
Error signalled by READ.

Broken at READ.  Type :H for Help.
>>:q

Top level.
>'#\CONTROL-E

Error: "CONTROL-E" is an illegal character name.
Error signalled by READ.

Broken at READ.  Type :H for Help.
>>:q

Top level.
>'#\C-E

Error: "C-E" is an illegal character name.
Error signalled by READ.

Broken at READ.  Type :H for Help.
>>:q

Top level.

My need is to read a character at a time using READ-CHAR and test for the
coltrol E character.   Must I convert the character to an integer and test
for a "magic number" to perform this test in akcl?   Am I overlooking
something else?

USPS: Mac Michaels,   3500 W.Balcones Center Dr.,   Austin,TX 78759
ARPA: mac@mcc.com
UUCP: {uunet,harvard,gatech,pyramid}!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!mac