I can't install AKCL

I am trying to install AKCL (version 257 - is that the newest?) which I got from
cli.com, on a Sun 3 running SunOS 3.5. I am trying to follow the instructions in
AKCL.README, although they seem slightly inconsistent with what I see in
sun3/defs regarding cc options. I got KCL built all right but not AKCL.

The problems began with add-defs (warnings about h/config.h and
V/h/cmpinclude.h). Since this did not appear to be fatal, I continued with
make -f Smakefile.

This ran until it tried to do the make in lsp, which failed because there was no
saved_kcl in akcl/unixport. Not knowing what else to do, I copied it from
kcl/unixport.

Ran make again. More problems. In lsp make, compiling each lsp file causes
contains the undefined function ALIGNMENT. The makefile keeps going, although
the lsp files don't seem to get compiled.

I keep going. In cmpnew, the first compile breaks with the error "*C-GC* is
unbound". This breaks the make, and at this point I give up.

This is not yet a plea for help. But I would like to know, for anyone who has
done a similar installation, was it straightforward? Were the instructions in
AKCL.README followed literally? And if I do get desparate, would anyone be
willing to assist me in this? Because I fear I may be reaching the end of my
ability to proceed.

Thanks,
David Cogen.