Problems building AKCL for A/UX 2.0 (mac)

I've been having a lot of trouble trying to build a version of AKCL to
run on my mac under A/UX 2.0. I posted a note about this to the
network newsgroups comp.unix.aux and comp.lang.lisp, but all that
elicited was a call from a saleperson at Franz wanting to sell me
Allegro CL for $1500....

I'm working with akcl-1.-483.tar.Z and kcl.tar.Z from
rascal.ics.utexas.edu (latest versions), and aux-akcl.tar.Z from
cambridge.apple.com, which provides the aux defs and one modified
file.

I can't get akcl to build at all. Using gcc (either the apple.com
version made by David Berry or another from John Coolidge at
cs.uiuc.edu), I get "instruction-operand mismatch" errors in a few
files. These seem to involve a conflict between some variable names
and the reserved names of 680x0 registers, and I think I know how to
deal with that. More important, though, is the fact that essentially
every file in the lsp directory (plus some more - I got tired of
keeping track) bombs during the compilation with "FATAL - symbol L2
redefined" (usually L2 - sometimes L8, L26, or whatever). This looks
vaguely like some sort of syntax problem, so I tried gcc -traditional,
but the same thing happens. Then for a lark I tried using the A/UX cc
(with -B /usr/lib/big/ to get big tables, or so it looks from the man
page). Somewhat to my surprise, everything compiles....except one
file: c/funlink.c which bombs (at line 435) with a message about
excessive tree size. Adding a flag -A16 to further grow the tables
does no good. Somewhat surprisingly, switching back to gcc at this
point, with everything but funlink compiled, the make goes through:
gcc can compile funlink, and load the whole mess.  But then the
resulting akcl dies with a complaint about a failure of rsym. So I'm
back to square one, with still no akcl.

Can somebody who has gotten akcl to work with A/UX please give me some
pointers?  I've been beating on this for quite a while now, with
insufficient understanding of what I'm doing, and the predictable
results.

Steve Anderson
Cognitive Science Center
The Johns Hopkins University